Sunday, February 03, 2013

Ghana and Mali in the semifinals

In 2005 I was in Ghana when the Black Stars defeated Cape Verde 4-0, and with that result qualified for their first World Cup. Today, I wore my Ghana shirt as I watched Ghana take on a Cape Verde side that has surprised everyone in this their first Africa Cup of Nations. Ghana were obviously favourites against the first-timers, but this could not be seen. While Ghana dominated the early stages of the match, the Cape Verde team was the best side all in all, and even though I am happy Ghana won, I cannot help but feel a bit sorry for Cape Verde, who deserved better. Ghana was saved by their goalkeeper Abdul Dauda, and two goals by Wakaso Mubarak, one on penalty, and one in an empty goal when Cape Verde had thrown every many forward for a corner kick.
I have no doubt that overall Ghana is a better team than Cape Verde. But Ghana must play better if they are to win the tournament! They cannot rely just on Dauda and Wakaso!
In the other semi-final South Africa was full of expectations to the Bafana-Bafana, only to be disappointed again. 1-1 after extra time against Mali, who won the penalty kicks 3-1 after South Africa missed three penalties in a row. While South Africa are disappointed, this victory is surely another boost for Mali!

No comments: